12.28.2005

My top uh... 11 albums in 2k5. ( Part 3 )

So now we're getting to the heart of the matter. These are the discs which surprised me, blew my mind and left me begging for more like a true music junkie.
  • 04. Tiger Army - Tiger Army (1999)

    Just when I'd about given up hope on ever hearing kick ass rock and roll again, a couple of my friends introduced me to the wide world of Psychobilly. Mad Sin, the Meteors, Los Gatos Locos and others have kicked an ailing rock and roll in the face and knocked out a couple of teeth. Tiger Army is the most pop of these groups, but my favorite none the less, especially here on their first album. I intend to fully explore this genre and I'll bet a few more of these albums will be making my list next year.

    Key Track: 'Never Die'.
    Good Tracks: 90%

  • 03. The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls (2005)

    Definitely some of the most original music I've heard in recent memory. The Dresden Dolls hit spots I've never felt before. Labeled Punk Cabaret, The Dolls offer up a blend of Punk Rock, Mock Goth and, well, Cabaret. Undeniably energetic and charismatic, this NYC based duo sound liver than live with just a piano and a drum set on most tracks, and at their best they will absolutely knock your socks off. A brilliant freshman attempt.

    Key Track: 'Girl Anachronism'.
    Good Tracks: 75%

  • 02. Philip Glass - Symphony No. 3 (2000)

    Philip Glass has worked with Ravi Shankar, Vangelis, Brian Eno and David Bowie. Composing since the 1950s, Glass should be credited with introducing the precise, technologically repetitive forms now found in hip-hop and techno as well as rock and roll into the palate of popular music. His third symphony is a thing which I can listen to for hours on end at the cost of my sanity.

    Key Movement: 'III'.
    Good Movements: 100%.

1 Comments:

Blogger Q. said...

I like 'The Power of Moonlight' a lot, too. Incorporeal and F.T.W. are the best tracks, IMHO. I still like the first album better.

6:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home